Monday 6 December 2010

Sculpture

Sad story goes with this.
It was originally displayed in the foyer of the art block, but then we had to move it. In the process of moving it, it's entire base fell off, leaving me with half a sculpture. Which I hadnt yet photographed. And is beyond repair. So, here it is broken. But you get the gist.
We were looking at Manfred Pernice. If I'm honest, I saw that work twice. Once, completely naive, and again with my sculpture tutor explaining the pieces and the themes behind his work.. and I still dont get it.
I suppose art is down to personal taste, and I'm sure there were people who went to the exhibition and loved it. I was not one of those people. I like art to be accessable, and I hate this pretention that comes with it. I want  to be able to visit an exhibition with a non art student and still enjoy it. I went the first time with my dad, who is an intelligent man, perhaps not booksmart, but he is tapped in. The pair of us walked around there, completely lost.
So producing a work in response to this artist was a bit more difficult. I came up with a sort of shanty town sky scraper construct. The photocopies on there are references to Pernices work, as is the unfinished quality of the work. I found that, as I didn't understand the themes properly, I was more emmulating the work, and thats never a good thing. So this wasnt as successful a piece as some of my others, but Im sure the next sculpture project will be better (: we are going to be working with clay and ideas of body image- and as a young person in todays society, that is something we can heavily relate to.
Anyway heres the pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment